Austin College Bulletin
As specified by Austin College’s charter from the State of Texas, the Board of Trustees has ultimate responsibility for the college’s policies, resources, and programs. Through a covenant with the Synod of the Sun of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), the trustees pledge that Austin College will continue to serve as an instrument for the church in higher education both by fostering an understanding of the Judeo-Christian tradition and by reflecting the values of that tradition. The Board of Trustees evaluates the operation of the institution and delegates to the President, the Chief Executive Officer, the overall responsibility for its operation.
Mission of Austin College
Austin College is a private, residential, co-educational college dedicated to educating undergraduate students in the liberal arts and sciences while also offering select pre-professional programs and a graduate teacher education program. Founded by the Presbyterian Church in 1849, Austin College continues its relationship with the church and its commitment to a heritage that values personal growth, justice, community, and service. An Austin College education emphasizes academic excellence, intellectual and personal integrity, and participation in community life. Thus, Austin College affirms the importance of:
- A community that through its size, diversity, and programs fosters lively intellectual and social interaction among persons of different origins, experiences, beliefs, accomplishments, and goals
- A program that does not discriminate with regard to religion or creed, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, physical disability, age, or economic status
- A faculty that acknowledges teaching, sustained by active commitment to professional growth and development, as its primary responsibility
- A student body of committed learners, actively involved in the programs of the college and in service to the greater community
- A climate of civility and respect that encourages free inquiry and the open expression of ideas
- A non-sectarian education that fosters the exploration and development of values through an awareness of the world’s religious, philosophical, and cultural traditions
The mission of Austin College is to educate students in the liberal arts and sciences in order to prepare them for rewarding careers and for full, engaged, and meaningful lives.